Thursday, April 24, 2008

Once Upon a Marigold

Whew!! I didn't think I would be able to get this review posted in time since the library just got my copy of Marigolds in the day before yesterday!! BUT this book was a very easy read and kept me interested enough that I finished it really fast.

I really enjoyed this book. It really was "part everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" and I thought that Ferris had a great imagination. Although the ending was kind of predictable (who didn't know from the very beginning that Christian was probably a prince?), it was how Ferris got us to the 'happily ever after' part that was so much fun.

I also enjoyed the characters and their development. Even though this was a fairy tale, and even though the characters were portrayed in a silly way, they still had me hating or loving each one of them in the end. The only characters that surprised me were Meg, who after not too long proved to be a little skanky (I wanted to kick her when she kissed Christian and then Rollo came in), and the triplets. In my mind, the triplets were like the evil step-sisters until we met them just before the wedding and I loved them.

Another thing that for some reason surprised me was that Olympia was drugging Swithbert, but after we learned that she was drugging him, it made sense all along. We're you surprised to learn that all of the girls were adopted? I was! You can probably guess that my favorite part of the book was when Swithbert explained to the girls that because he loved them from the first moment he laid eyes on them, and because he walked the floor with them when they were sick and taught them things like riding and cheating on cards, he was their real father. Yes, it brought a little tear to my eye, and no, I'm not afraid to admit it!!

Overall, I loved this book. I would recommend it to anyone...especially because it's clean and fun. Ferris did make a sequel...I think I am going to have to check out Twice Upon a Marigold!!

I've enjoyed the reviews with questions for us to answer, so I am going to add a few in on this review...

1. Did you like the book? Why or why not?

2. What if Christian had been found by one of the other magical inhabitants of the forest as a little boy? It could have been Tooth Fairy Mag, Hayes Centaur, etc. How would that have changed the story?

3. If you could have a birth gift like some of the characters in the book, what would it be?

2 comments:

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

1-I really liked this book! A lot of times I don't love short books because they don't develop the story enough, but I thought Marigold was quick-moving and entertaining! I also had strong feelings for the characters. I loved Christian, Marigold, her father, and the triplets!

2-Great question! Christian always knew he was destined for something bigger, but I don't know that he ever would have reached it without his TRUE father. (I forgot his name...). His father really loved him and gave him room to do what he was good at-inventing and imagining.

3-If I had a birth gift, I would probably choose one of the triplets' gifts. Something practical and not out on a limb like Marigold's. What was Christian's gift? I can't remember!

I would definitely recommend this book! You're right, the story was rather predictable, but I still liked it! I was excited to hear there's a sequel!

Jen, did you sign up on Goodreads?? I can't remember? But you should! So I can see what you're reading! :) I just read Hattie Big Sky, and I loved it.

Lisa said...

1. I really like the beginning of this book. I knew that Christian was a prince and that (of course) he would end up with Marigold. I thought it was a cute fairy tale (until the end). I did NOT like the way the end was written (or came about). I (like Marigold) could not understand why her father just did not free Christian at the same time he freed Marigold. I was also very upset that after their "mother" died (or so they thought), that they still went ahead with the wedding. I know she was cruel, but I still thought they should have been a little tiny bit sad. I was also upset that the girls came from a different birth mother and father. I did love that their "father" said to the girls that because he loved them from the first moment he laid eyes on them, and because he walked the floor with them when they were sick and taught them things like riding and cheating on cards, he was their real father. That was special moment (also totally true). As far as princesses HAVING to marry a prince, etc. how does the girls not being “real” princesses affect everything. Apparently it did not.

I enjoyed all the characters and loved that the triplets were not the "evil" sisters and they loved Marigold and their father very much. I was also relieved (like Christian) to find that King Swithbert was a very wise man.

I really thought the book was cute, I just didn't like how the ending was written.

2. I think Christian's father had a huge role in his development as a person. I know each person has their own innate abilities, and no matter who or where they are raised will change that, but I think the people who do raise you make a difference in how far you go with your abilities.

3. I would love to be given a birth gift. I wouldn't want Marigold's but Christian's gift of good luck would be nice.