Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Review of Book of a Thousand Days

I thought this book was very interesting. It wasn’t at all what I expected I guess. I absolutely loved the Princess Academy and thought River Secrets was good, so I thought that this would be right up there. It was just okay at first for me. I didn’t really get into the story till the Adventure Thereafter. Then I was hooked and wanted to find out how the rest of the story would play out.

So what did you think of Dashti?...I just kept thinking why don’t you just beat up that little–princess-brat already!!! Dashti just kept loving her and making her meals, no matter what the princess did. Now that I am actually thinking about it, I think Dashti was just so selfless and sweet. When she goes to face the evil wolf man Khasar, I was so impressed. Seriously, how do you stand naked in the snow and still have the courage to finish your mission? Her plan was so brilliant. I loved that she was a simple servant girl on the outside, but the more you found out about her character, you realized just how much more there was to her!

What did you think of the princess-Lady Saren?...her character drove me nuts. I just kept thinking she is a psycho. Why wouldn’t she want to try to escape and be with her Khan-Tegus? I did like that at the end, Lady Saren finally learned how to work and that she didn’t try to steal Tegus from Dashti-that would’ve been so selfish!

Did you like Tegus?..I loved him. He was always so sweet, even from the beginning. What man would stand where you throw out your…bodily fluids and have a conversation. I loved when he gave them the cat to help with the rats and was so sad when Khasar killed the poor thing. I love when he gets Dashti from the whole pre-war incident and he says,“You slew Khasar, you healed me, and you have perfect ankles. I really don’t think this is a question we need to debate.” (after saying “You’re going to have to marry me now.”) So sweet.

Did you expect it to end the way it did?...I think I kept hoping Dashti would end up with Tegus, but the way the story kept throwing more twists and turns I wasn’t really sure, but it’s a fairy tale, it HAS to end happily ever after right?

Did you love it, like it or was it a waste of time?...I love the way Shannon Hale writes. I understand that this book was written for a younger audience, but in the end I am glad I read it. At first I just kept thinking really? This is it huh? But now after doing this review, I am remembering how much I loved and hated certain characters-which is why I love her writing. This isn’t my favorite of her books, but I did really like it. (I am so wanting her to do another book for adults. I just loved Austenland.)

Okay, so I want to know how you would’ve answered these questions, or anything else you want to add, that I didn’t focus on.

5 comments:

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

I felt like you did, Melissa. I didn't love the book at first, but I was glad I read it. I did like it, but it was soooo different from Austenland! It had an interesting ending, and I do enjoy reading lots of books by the same author.

So what did you think of Dashti?...I loved her. And she was slightly annoying. :) She was totally selfless!!! She was a very strong and amazing character. You have to love it when the underdog/servant comes out on top!

What did you think of the princess-Lady Saren?...She needed to be slapped! I guess she had a very real fear, but she was a brat!

Did you like Tegus?...Yes, he was so sweet and kind. I was sad about the cat too!

Did you expect it to end the way it did?...Hmmmmm, no. I was really hoping that Dashti would end up with Tegus, so I was happy!

Steelefamily said...

I too had wished there was more to it. Princess academy and Goose girl are some of my favorites. I thought this was a bit slow. I have a hard time with people who are totally selfless. I know it is a good quality and all but you have to put yourself first once in a while, no one else is going to thats for sure. I guess I have to remember that it takes place in another time.

I enjoyed the book, I enjoy most books. I love a happy ending!

Sean, Jen, Carson and Addie said...

Great review, Melissa! I really liked this book, but I agree that it wasn't my favorite book by Hale (it'll be tough to beat out Austenland!). I liked the way that it was formatted as a journal and skipped forward a lot during the boring parts in the tower.

What did you think of Dashti?...She drove me crazy, but I wish that I had an ounce of her unselfishness. I couldn't believe how submissive her character could be and then how stong she was at the same time. I think overall, I really liked her, though.

What did you think of Lady Saren?...I kind of hated her throughout the book because I hated the way Dashti was forced to "sin" for her. Poor Dashti!! But she really redeemed herself in the end! I was so glad that she finally got her backbone and stood up for Dashti.

Did you like Tegus?...I loved him! He was so sweet and such a great character! I like how Hale was able to show us how good of a person he was (even when we thought he never came back to the tower).

Did you expect it to end the way it did?...No! I was so worried for Dashti! I really thought that they would kill her and Lady Saren would just hide in the kitchen and let it happen. (Remember that one entry how she just wrote one sentence saying something about how that boy that winked at her was hung? That convinced me that they would do the same to her). Anyway, I was so proud of Lady Saren and wanted to cheer when Tegus proposed!!

This was a fun read, thanks for picking it, Melissa!!

Lisa said...

What did you think of Dashti?
I loved her. I thought she had such character and strength. I wasn't annoyed by her selflessness, because that was what she was "supposed" to do. She pledged an oath to serve Lady Saren, and she would not break it.

What did you think of Lady Saren?
I felt so sorry for her. I knew as soon as Khasar said to Lady Saren, "Besides you, there's only one other person still living whom I've allowed to see me feeding." who and what Khasar was. I knew Lady Saren was tortured by what she had seen and was trying to escape what she knew. I was so happy for her when Dashti gave her the cat and she started to get better. I didn't know she would finally get enough strength to find Tegus and save Dashti in the end, but I was grateful that she did.

Did you like Tegas?
I loved Tegas, and knew that he would have made a great husband for Lady Saren (if that happened). I was relieved & glad when he did marry Dashti, because they truly loved each other.

Did you expect it to end the way it did?
I was hoping Tegas and Dashti would end up together, but didn't expect it to happen the way it did, with all the twists and turns. I loved that Dashti saved the Eight Realms

Steelefamily said...

Natalie and Jen, you girls are slacking off with this site:)